June 20, 2020
FROM THE MNM:
1. No new COVID cases for Friday in Marshall
2. Amtrack cuts back service through Marshall to three times weekly.
3. 22 New COVID cases in Tyler.
J. Harris: Several counties are making or considering mandatory face masks for public places. I AGREE. Harrison County’s troubles are not over, but we are certainly lucky or doing something right lately. We need to remember that this is still the First Phase of the disease. Autumn and Influenza will be here soon. Flu shots will be more important to take that ever. Keep wearing your masks when out and about.
Researchers at the Italian National Institute of Health discovered the presence of the RNA of the virus in samples taken in the northern cities of Milan and Turin on Dec. 18, more than two months before the country’s first case was diagnosed on Feb 20. (NYT)
People probably caught coronavirus from minks. That’s a wake-up call to study infections in animals, researchers say.
In this issue of JAMA, Fosbøl et al3 provide convincing evidence that ACEI/ARB therapy is not associated with ncreased susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infection or increased severity of COVID-1
J. Harris: This is the third big study demonstrating that ACE inhibitors and blockers, very common and effective blood pressure pills, don’t cause or worsen COVID infections.
From Johns Hopkins:
1. Structure-based Design of Antiviral Drug Candidates Targeting the SARS-CoV-2 Main Protease (Science) With no vaccine or proven effective drug against the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), scientists are racing to find clinical antiviral treatments. A promising drug target is the viral main protease Mpro,…showed good antiviral activity in cell culture…had better pharmacokinetic properties and low toxicity when tested in mice and dogs, suggesting that this compound is a promising drug candidate.
2. Numerous US states continue to report concerning COVID-19 trends. The New York Times analysis indicates that 20 states are reporting significant increases in COVID-19 incidence, based on a 7-day average. Among these states, 12 appear to be reporting record daily incidence over the past several days. Texas reported its highest daily incidence and COVID-19 hospitalizations yesterday as well as its second-highest test positivity since April. Multiple hospitals in Florida are currently reporting that all of their intensive care unit (ICU) beds are occupied. According to data published by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA), 9 hospitals with a capacity of at least 25 ICU beds report no availability. Additionally, numerous smaller hospitals are also reporting zero available ICU beds, including 2 in Palm Beach, one of Florida’s current COVID-19 hotspots. Arkansas and North Carolina continue to report increasing COVID-19 hospitalizations. Notably, Arkansas is reporting nearly 4 times the number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients as it was in mid-May and more than 7 times the number of active community cases.
(J. Harris: remember a couple of weeks ago when Arkansas was “bullet proof” and bragging about their lack of antiviral practices statewide).
What was Forrest Gump’s email password? 1forrest1
Two windmills are standing in a wind farm. One asks, “What’s your favorite kind of music?” The other says, “I’m a big metal fan.”
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK. CLICK ON “COMMENT” TO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK or use one of the alternative methods for providing feedback.