US, Texas, and East Texas Covid Case Counts are going up again. Here we go again, but we have some immunity, Vaccines available, Flu shots, Masks, and soap. We are also more likely to use more informed and better judgment.
FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES 1 DEC, 2022
FROM YOUR LOCAL EPIDEMIOLOGIST:
COVID-19 in China and global concern
(J. Harris: Great read regarding China and what likely will happen!)
FROM THE ANNALS OF INTERNAL MEDICINE:
1. Medical Masks Versus N95 Respirators for Preventing COVID-19 Among Health Care Workers (Hopkins summary)
Study on masks vs N95 respirators for health workers spurs concerns (CIDRAP) A study today in the Annals of Internal Medicine suggests that medical masks may offer similar effectiveness as N95 respirators in protecting healthcare workers (HCWs) exposed to COVID-19 patients in certain settings, but experts caution against that interpretation of the results. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends continuous wear of either medical masks or N95s when caring for COVID-19 patients, while the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises using N95s.
2. Outpatient Treatment of Confirmed COVID-19
”…Some antiviral medications and monoclonal antibodies may improve outcomes for outpatients with mild to moderate COVID-19. However, the generalizability of the findings to the currently dominant Omicron variant is limited….”
3. Major Update 2: Antibody Response and Risk for Reinfection After SARS-CoV-2 Infection—Final Update of a Living, Rapid Review
”…Evidence for a sustained antibody response to SARS-CoV-2 infection is considerable for both Delta and Omicron variants. Prior infection protected against reinfection with both variants, but, for Omicron, protection was weaker and waned rapidly. This information may have limited clinical applicability as new variants emerge…”
4. Temporal Improvements in COVID-19 Outcomes for Hospitalized Adults: A Post Hoc Observational Study of Remdesivir Group Participants in the Adaptive COVID-19 Treatment Trial (94 hospitals in 10 countries (86% U.S. participants)
FROM HOPKINS SELECTIONS
1. ‘Zombie virus’ resurrected after being frozen for 48,500 years (Independent) Thawing of frozen landscapes has the potentional to unleash infectious “zombie viruses” that have been locked underground for thousands of years, according to new research. One quarter of the Northern hemisphere has permanently frozen ground beneath it, and is facing irreversible thawing due to the climate crisis. This decomposing landscape releases carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere, adding more heat to the planet. The new study, led by microbiologist Jean-Marie Alempic from the French National Centre for Scientific Research, looked at samples collected from permafrost in the Russian province of Siberia. From these, scientists were able to awaken 13 new viruses which they labelled “zombie viruses” – including one which remained infectious after more than 48,500 years in deep permafrost. The study, which is yet to be peer-reviewed, noted that there has been limited research into “live” viruses found in permafrost.
2 CDC Awards over $3 billion to bolster public health workforce, infrastructure (The Hill) The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced it will award over $3 billion to strengthen the public health workforce and infrastructure of state, local and territorial health departments. The funding is the first-of-its kind, while all U.S. citizens live in a jurisdiction that will receive funds under the new grant. The announcement comes as the United States faces a growing shortage of healthcare workers. The Association of American Medical Colleges estimates that by 2033, the country will have a shortage of up to 124,000 physicians, including both primary care physicians and specialists.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEASED: HOME GROWN GROANERS:
1. What did one ocean say to the other ocean?
Nothing, it just waved.
2.Did you hear about the fire at the circus?
It was in tents!
3. When does a joke become a ‘dad’ joke?
When it becomes apparent.
NO JOKE: WHY NOT USE PARTS OF GOOD SHEPHERD MARSHALL HOSPITAL
FOR LONG COVID REHABILITATION???
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK. CLICK ON “COMMENT” TO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK or use one of the alternative methods for providing feedback.
Click here to submit feedback. Let us know what you think.
Click here to go to the iExposed.us website
P.O. Box 721