WEAR YOUR MASK WHEN OUT AND ABOUT TO BE SAFEST, OR STAY HOME
FROM THE WASHINGTON POST:
BA.5 NEWS (AND IT’S NOT GOOD)
FROM THE NYT:
1. The U.S. government will buy 3.2 million doses of Novavax’s Covid vaccine.
”…The Biden administration announced on Monday that it would buy 3.2 million doses of a Covid-19 vaccine…If cleared by regulators, Novavax’s two-dose vaccine would become the fourth coronavirus vaccine available in the United States. It would be available at first as a primary immunization series for adults. After that initial authorization, the Food and Drug Administration could later authorize the vaccine as a booster shot…The company hopes that its protein-based shot, a vaccine technology that has been widely used for decades, will appeal to Americans who declined to be vaccinated with shots using messenger RNA technology. About two-thirds of people in the United States are fully vaccinated..The Serum Institute of India, the world’s largest vaccine producer, is now manufacturing Novavax’s shot. India recently exported 3.2 million doses of the Novavax vaccine to the United States, according to the Indian government’s Covid vaccine export records….Trials have also shown that Novavax’s shot works well as a booster, .
(J. Harris: A booster candidate for the ”mix and match” vaccine folks???)
FROM HOPKINS SELECTIONS:
1. Persistent Circulating SARS-CoV-2 Spike is Associated with Post-acute COVID-19 Sequelae (MedRxiv). We analyzed plasma samples collected from a cohort of PASC and COVID-19 patients (n = 63) to quantify circulating viral antigens and inflammatory markers. Strikingly, we detect SARS-CoV-2 spike antigen in a majority of PASC patients up to 12 months post-diagnosis, suggesting the presence of an active persistent SARSCoV-2 viral reservoir. Furthermore, temporal antigen profiles for many patients show the presence of spike at multiple time points over several months, highlighting the potential utility of the SARS-CoV-2 full spike protein as a biomarker for PASC.
”…If PASC patients can be identified based on the direct measurement of spike protein, characterizing patient phenotypes and assessing treatment strategies will become increasingly effective…”
(J. Harris: Must read article for understanding Long Covid or “PASC” .)
2. COVID-19 Vaccines May Have Saved 235,000 Lives (CIDRAP) A modeling study led by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) researchers estimates that COVID-19 vaccination averted 27 million infections, 1.6 million hospitalizations, and 235,000 deaths among US adults from December 2020 to September 2021. In the study, published in JAMA Network Open, the researchers extrapolated the number of COVID-19 infections and deaths from hospitalization data from Dec 1, 2020, to Sep 30, 2021. Then they combined the estimates with data on vaccine uptake and effectiveness to estimate the risk of infection, hospitalization, and death.
3. New Coronavirus Mutant Raises Concerns in India and Beyond (Associated Press) The quickly changing coronavirus has spawned yet another super contagious omicron mutant that’s worrying scientists as it gains ground in India and pops up in numerous other countries, including the United States. Scientists say the variant – called BA.2.75 – may be able to spread rapidly and get around immunity from vaccines and previous infection. It’s unclear whether it could cause more serious disease than other omicron variants, including the globally prominent BA.5.
4. Moderna to Advance Two Omicron Vaccine Candidates Against Newer Variants (Reuters) Moderna Inc (MRNA.O) said on Monday it was advancing two Omicron vaccine candidates for the fall, one designed against the BA.1 variant and another against the BA.4 and BA.5. Vaccine makers including Moderna and rival Pfizer Inc are developing updated vaccines to target the fast-spreading Omicron subvariants
BA.4 and BA.5, which have gained a foothold in the United States over recent weeks.
1. 1st cases of newest omicron subvariant BA.2.75 detected in US: 3 notes
2. As BA.5 spreads, experts wonder: Where are the masks?
”…Most Americans should be wearing or considering wearing masks in indoor public spaces based on guidelines associated with COVID-19 risk levels defined by the CDC…”
1. COVID-19 Boosters This Fall to Include Omicron Antigen, but Questions Remain About Its Value
AND LAST BUT NOT LEASED, A TOO JOKE DAY:
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK. CLICK ON “COMMENT” TO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK or use one of the alternative methods for providing feedback.
Click here to submit feedback. Let us know what you think.
Click here to go to the iExposed.us youtube channel
Click here to go to the iExposed.us website
P.O. Box 721