WE HAVEN’T PIVOTED YET, BUT GETTING CLOSER
Fall Influenza A(H3N2) Outbreak at a Midwestern University
J. Harris: Don’t forget your flu shot; you can get these in almost any pharmacy or clinics.
Free N95 masks are arriving at pharmacies and grocery stores. Here’s how to get yours
”…Kroger stores with pharmacies will also be doling out the masks throughout the chain’s Midwest and Southwest locations…. the first allotment of masks is expected to arrive on Thursday….Walgreens… told NPR the masks will be made available for free while supplies last…”We expect the first stores to begin offering masks on Friday, Jan. 28 and will continue on a rolling basis in the days and weeks following,… customers are limited to three masks per person. “Participating stores will have signage indicating mask availability.”
Similarly, CVS Pharmacy locations will also be offering free N95 masks in the coming weeks…”
Omicron Survives Longer on Plastic, Skin Than Other COVID Variants
Lung Transplantation for Covid-19–Related Respiratory Failure in the United States”…These findings indicate that from August 2020 through September 2021, approximately 7% of lung transplantations nationally were performed in patients with respiratory failure due to Covid-19 (Table S3). Because the 3-month survival among these patients approached that among patients who underwent lung transplantation for reasons other than Covid-19, we believe that lung transplantation may be an acceptable treatment for selected patients with irreversible respiratory failure due to Covid-19…”
There’s a new version of omicron but so far it doesn’t appear to be more dangerous”…Known as BA. 2, the new version of the virus is a descendant of the omicron variant responsible for huge surges of covid-19 in the United States and elsewhere around the globe. Virologists are referring to the original omicron variant as BA. …“The BA. 2 descendant lineage, which differs from BA. 1 in some of the mutations, including in the spike protein, is increasing in many countries,” the WHO wrote on its website. ..At least three cases have been found in the United States at Houston Methodist Hospital in Texas, which also is studying the genetic makeup of virus samples from its patients…
1. Don’t let the term fool you — ‘Endemic’ can be dangerous
2. Omicron subvariant: What we know now
Here’s what to do if you lose your U.S. vaccination card.
1. Clinical Outcomes Among Patients With 1-Year Survival Following Intensive Care Unit Treatment for COVID-19 (JAMA) At 1 year after ICU treatment for COVID-19, physical symptoms were reported by 182 of 245 patients (74.3% [95% CI, 68.3% to 79.6%]), mental symptoms were reported by 64 of 244 patients (26.2% [95% CI, 20.8% to 32.2%]), and cognitive symptoms were reported by 39 of 241 patients (16.2% [95% CI, 11.8% to 21.5%]). The most frequently reported new physical problems were weakened condition (95/244 patients [38.9%]), joint stiffness (64/243 patients [26.3%]) joint pain (62/243 patients [25.5%]), muscle weakness (60/242 patients [24.8%]) and myalgia (52/244 patients [21.3%]).
2. Children and COVID-19: State-Level Data Report (American Academy of Pediatrics) Reported child COVID-19 cases among children have spiked dramatically across the United States during the Omicron variant surge. Child cases continued to rise the past week, now over 1.1 million cases were reported, nearly five times the rate of the peak of last winters’ surge. For the week ending January 20th, nearly 1,151,000 child COVID-19 cases were reported. This number is a 17% increase over the 981,000 added cases reported the week ending January 13th and a doubling of case counts from the two weeks prior. Over 10.6 million children have tested positive for COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic; over 2 million of these cases have been added in the past 2 weeks.
3. It’s Too Early to Tell Whether CBD Helps Against Covid-19 — But Researchers Worry That Won’t Stop CBD Makers (STAT News) The scientists stressed the caveats that early-stage research demands: the compounds they had studied showed hints — in cells in lab dishes and in animals — of being able to combat the coronavirus. Definite answers could only come from clinical trials. But the compounds were CBD and other marijuana and hemp derivatives, so the news took off. Kimmel and Colbert cracked jokes. The studies received coverage in outlets from Fox News to The Daily Beast.
TOMORROW COVID AND THE COMMON COLD FROM JAMA and A CLOSER LOOK AT PEDIATRIC COVID ON SATURDAY.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEASED:
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK. CLICK ON “COMMENT” TO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK or use one of the alternative methods for providing feedback.
Click here to submit feedback. Let us know what you think.
Click here to go to the iExposed.us youtube channel
Click here to go to the iExposed.us website
P.O. Box 721