CORONAVIRUS INFO PROVIDED BY DR. JIM HARRIS –1/6/2022
J. Harris: Area data shows continued escalation of area Covid (Omecron most likely) but we still have ICU/Ventillator capacity. The Shreveport area shows more infestation, but they likely are testing more people. Prudence is indicated as is concern for our health care workers.
“I am not for pissing off the French … however, the unvaccinated, I really want to piss them off,” he said in an interview published Tuesday in the French newspaper Le Parisien. “I’m not going to throw [the unvaccinated] in prison. I’m not going to get them vaccinated by force. … We put pressure on the unvaccinated by limiting their access to social activities as much as possible….Over 73 percent of the French population has been fully immunized against the virus…That is higher than the European Union average of just under 70 percent.”
(J. Harris: Good for Macron.)
(J. Harris: This is a thoughtful and helpful article that is easily read.)
FROM SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN MORE ABOUT HOUSTON’S DR. HOTEZ’S CORBEVAX VACCINE: A COVID Vaccine for All
”…This new COVID vaccine has several distinct features that make it particularly suitable for use in resource-poor settings: it is safe, effective and can be locally produced at very high quantities. CORBEVAX is easy to store and inexpensive. We hope it will be used in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America, where vaccine availability has generally been abysmal…When compared with doses of the AstraZeneca–University of Oxford vaccine manufactured by the Serum Institute of India, CORBEVAX also produced a higher amount of neutralizing antibodies against the Delta and Beta variants of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID (We expect to have Omicron data soon.) And it provided more durable and lasting protection. The vaccine neutralized variants of concern in laboratory animal studies and was highly protective in two nonhuman primate challenge trials. The trial results are being prepared for submission to a peer-reviewed journal….During this next year, we hope to partner with the World Health Organization and other United Nations agencies to finally vaccinate the world. We believe that, with our low-cost yet highly effective, safe, and easy to store and distribute recombinant protein vaccine, we might finally achieve global vaccine equity and overcome vaccine hesitancy and refusal. This is a critical next step to vaccinate our way out of the COVID-19 pandemic….”
CURRENT HOPKINS CITED ARTICLES:
1. A Variant Found in France is Not a Concern, the W.H.O. Says (New York Times) The World Health Organization says that it is monitoring a coronavirus variant detected in a small number of patients in France, but that, for now, there is little reason to worry about its spread. The B.1.640.2 variant was first identified in October and uploaded to Gisaid, a database for disease variants, on Nov. 4. Only about 20 samples have been sequenced so far, experts said this week, and only one since early December.
2. Covid Deaths in the United States Surpass 800,000 (New York Times) Coronavirus deaths in the United States surpassed 800,000 on Wednesday, according to a New York Times database, as the pandemic neared the end of a second year and as known virus cases in this country rose above 50 million.
3. Receipt of COVID-19 Vaccine During Pregnancy and Preterm or Small-for-Gestational Age at Birth – Eight Integrated Health Care Organizations, United States, December 15, 2020, – July 22, 2021 (CDC MMWR) In a retrospective cohort of >40,000 pregnant women, COVID-19 vaccination during pregnancy was not associated with preterm birth or small-for-gestational-age at birth overall, stratified by trimester of vaccination, or number of vaccine doses received during pregnancy, compared with unvaccinated pregnant women.
4. Early Israeli Findings Show Fivefold Boost from Fourth COVID Vaccine Dose (CIDRAP) Researchers from Israel reported promising preliminary findings from a study on fourth COVID-19 vaccine shots, which suggest the second booster produces a fivefold increase in antibody levels.
5. J&J COVID-19 Vaccine Boosts Protection Against Hospitalization 85 Percent, Even Around Omicron (Homeland Preparedness News) Johnson & Johnson (J&J) released news from the South African Phase 3b Sisonke study of its COVID-19 booster vaccine, which demonstrated 85 percent effectiveness against COVID-19 induced hospitalization, even in a region dominated by the omicron variant.
”… flurona is not a distinct disease but refers to when a person has been infected with both viruses. Flurona instances have been detected in countries including the United States, Israel, Brazil, the Philippines and Hungary, some even before the term was coined…”
AND LAST BUT NOT LEASED:
To me, “drink responsibly” means don’t spill it.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late.
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK. CLICK ON “COMMENT” TO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK or use one of the alternative methods for providing feedback.
P.O. Box 721