CHARTS AND STATS FOR HARRISON COUNTY: UP TO DATE PLUS SUMMARY
1. Trinity Health mandates COVID-19 vaccine for employees at 91 hospitals
2. There is no need for people who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to get a booster shot at this time, the FDA and CDC said July 8.
3. ‘Lesson for all’: Delta variant tied to high ventilator demand, says Mercy CAO (MISSOURI)
“Mercy running out of ventilators is not a management issue. It’s about how rapidly the landscape changes under the delta variant. Sicker, younger, quicker……”I believe this rapid escalation in demand for respiratory support should be a lesson for all in healthcare who have not yet experienced the delta variant…Be prepared and ensure your plan allows for quick access and delivery of additional equipment like our plan provided us.”
Covid News: Mississippi Urges Masks for Indoor Gatherings as Delta Spreads
(“…“We have seen an entire takeover of the Delta variant for our transmission,” Dr. Thomas Dobbs, the state health officer, said Friday afternoon. The state is asking that:
All residents over 65 years of age avoid all indoor mass gatherings (regardless of vaccination status).
All residents with chronic underlying medical conditions avoid all indoor mass gatherings.
All unvaccinated residents wear a mask when indoors in public settings.
All residents 12 years of age and older receive a Covid-19 vaccination.
Breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 Infections in Prison after Vaccination
In this analysis, we found that SARS-CoV-2 breakthrough infections were identified only rarely after vaccination in a carceral setting in Rhode Island. Thus, vaccination of staff members and incarcerated persons, along with a policy of expanded decarceration, appeared to be effective in preventing the transmission of SARS-CoV-2. (J. Harris: Two new words.)
The C.D.C. Issues New School Guidance, With Emphasis on Full Reopening
Lay Epidemiology and Vaccine Acceptance
(J. Harris: Helpful and readable article regarding vaccine hesitancy.)
1. Mounting Evidence Suggests Sputnik COVID Vaccine is Safe and Effective (Nature) Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine, Sputnik, has been the subject of fascination and controversy since the Russian government authorized its use last year, before early-stage trial results were even published. Evidence from Russia and many other countries now suggests it is safe and effective — but questions remain about the quality of surveillance for possible rare side effects.
2. U.S. Donated COVID-19 Vaccines Distributed in Pakistan (Precision Vaccinations) About 2.5 million doses of Moderna (SpikeVax) COVID-19 vaccines donated by the United States are being distributed by the Government of Pakistan to vaccinate priority groups across the country, in line with the National Deployment and Vaccination Plan. So far, three million people have been fully vaccinated and 13.5 million partially vaccinated in Pakistan, using vaccines that the Government procured through COVAX or bilateral agreements.
3. Science, Not Speculation, Is Essential to Determine How SARS-CoV-2 Reached Humans (Lancet) On Feb 19, 2020, we, a group of physicians, veterinarians, epidemiologists, virologists, biologists, ecologists, and public health experts from around the world, joined together to express solidarity with our professional colleagues in China.1 Unsubstantiated allegations were being raised about the source of the COVID-19 outbreak and the integrity of our peers who were diligently working to learn more about the newly recognised virus, SARS-CoV-2, while struggling to care for the many patients admitted to hospital with severe illness in Wuhan and elsewhere in China.
(J. Harris: I hope these experts are correct.)
AND LAST BUT NOT LEASED:
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK. CLICK ON “COMMENT” TO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK or use one of the alternative methods for providing feedback.
Click here to submit feedback. Let us know what you think.