CORONAVIRUS INFO PROVIDED BY DR. JIM HARRIS – 04/27/2021
1. PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR MISD SCHOOL BOARD
2. ETBU VACCINE WALK IN CLINIC TUES, WED, THURS. (PFIZER)
J. Harris: There is a slight increase of Covid patients in the general beds, ie. regular hospital rooms as apposed ot ICU. Young people?
FROM THE NYT TRACKER FOR THIS AREA TODAY:
FROM HOPKINS MORE REASONS YOU DON’T WANT TO CATCH COVID:
1. High-Dimensional Characterization of Post-acute Sequalae of COVID-19 (Nature) Here, we use the national healthcare databases of the US Department of Veterans Affairs to systematically and comprehensively identify 6-month incident sequalae including diagnoses, medication use, and laboratory abnormalities in 30-day survivors of COVID-19. We show that beyond the first 30 days of illness, people with COVID-19 exhibit higher risk of death and health resource utilization. Our high dimensional approach identifies incident sequalae in the respiratory system and several others including nervous system and neurocognitive disorders, mental health disorders, metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, malaise, fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, and anemia.
2. Maternal and Neonatal Morbidity and Mortality Among Pregnant Women With and Without COVID-19 Infection: The INTERCOVID Multinational Cohort Study (JAMA Pediatrics) In this multinational cohort study of 2130 pregnant women in 18 countries, women with COVID-19 diagnosis were at increased risk of a composite maternal morbidity and mortality index. Newborns of women with COVID-19 diagnosis had significantly higher severe neonatal morbidity index and severe perinatal morbidity and mortality index compared with newborns of women without COVID-19 diagnosis. This study indicates a consistent association between pregnant individuals with COVID-19 diagnosis and higher rates of adverse outcomes, including maternal mortality, preeclampsia, and preterm birth compared with pregnant individuals without COVID-19 diagnosis.
3. States with Springtime Covid-19 Surges Appear to Have Turned a Corner (STAT News) Michigan and other states that experienced springtime Covid-19 surges or faced worrisome transmission trends appear to have turned a corner, with drops in new cases in recent days as vaccines reach more people. After hovering at stubbornly high levels or increasing over the past two months, average daily cases in Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Illinois, and other states in the Midwest and Northeast have started to fall, providing a breath of relief that the communities are past their most recent peaks.
4. US TRAVEL ADVISORIES The US Department of State updated its travel advisories, resulting in nearly 80% of countries falling under the “Do Not Travel” category. Previously, the State Department issued Level 4 (Do Not Travel) guidance for only 34 countries, but the recent additions bring the total to more than 150. Among the Level 4 category countries are Austria, Brazil, France, India, Italy, Mexico, Russia, and the UK. The department said the additions were made “to better reflect CDC’s science-based Travel Health Notices” as well as to consider the logistics of testing availability and other travel restrictions for US travelers. The department also noted it is continuing to monitor COVID-19 data across the globe and will regularly update destination-specific advice as conditions evolve.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEASED:(PLEASE EXCUSE “POLITICS” BUT I COULDN’T RESIST THIS MISSIVE FROM SOUTH DAKOTA:
Brad lives in California….. He was sick of the world, of Covid-19, Trump, Russian belligerence, China, global warming, racial tensions, and the rest of the disturbing stories that occupy media headlines….Brad drove his car into his garage and then sealed every doorway and window as best he could….
He got back into his car and wound down all the windows, selected his favorite radio station, and started the car.
Two days later, a worried neighbor peered through his garage window and saw him in the car. She notified the emergency services and they broke in, pulling Brad from the car…
A little sip of water and, surprisingly, he was in perfect condition, but his Tesla had a dead battery.
Brad is a registered California Democrat.
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK. CLICK ON “COMMENT” TO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK or use one of the alternative methods for providing feedback.